I don’t like the Subaru commercial “They Lived” for obvious reasons. It came on last night and brought up strong emotions.
Times like that remind me all the more that I must keep my eyes on Him, remember His Truth, and control my choice of thoughts. If a commercial or show, movie or book causes me to stumble, get angry or have resentments or doubts…I should walk away, shut the book, close the door.
What I put IN my mind and spirit directly affects what comes out of me.
I encourage…no, I challenge! you all to memorize this passage. It has valuable treasures in it for us as we walk this life.
“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.”
1) rejoice in The Lord. He does not change, regardless of our circumstances
2) Know that God is near. He is not in heaven where He cannot be found. Nor in the depths that we cannot reach Him. He is here. He is near. And He cares and is listening to our cries.
3) Pray – take our thoughts, emotions, fears, and pain to Him. He is big enough to handle our honest expressions and emotions. And He is kind, loving, patient and good!
4) Accept His peace. He desires to give us His peace!!
5) Take control of our thoughts. Don’t dwell on the yucky stuff. Count our blessings. And don’t let our minds wander into the dark places of what if, if only, or I should have…We cannot change what has happened. We can learn from the past sometimes, but we can’t change it. We can, however, impact our future by how we live and think now.
6) put into practice what we have learned. Little by little and day by day. Do the next right thing based on what we know.
Love and peace to you all this week.