Day 12 Twelve Things You Are Grateful For
June 12, 1942. Anne Frank received a diary for her birthday.
June 12, 2014. The last time I allowed the 12th to be a day of monthly mourning and depression for me. The next month, when the 12th rolled around, I chose to be grateful for the things and people I have rather than being depressed because of what I had lost.
Tell about a dozen things you are grateful to have in your life. It could be people, things, memories, etc.
(Yes, I cheated on this one since I do this every month anyway.)
Two years of being grateful on the 12th instead of allowing my grief to overwhelm me. It’s hard to believe it was just two years ago that I decided to choose gratitude.
Here is my monthly gratitude post.
Last Thursday evening, we were invited to an intimate concert at a friend’s home. Nick Jaina was performing. He plays music, sings original songs, and reads from his book. I had no idea what to expect, but the evening was wonderful!
In his last number, Nick read from his own list of “things I love about this earth”. I wish I knew shorthand and could have written down all that he said. I loved his list!
Here is my list of things I am grateful for this month.
- Grace and forgiveness given me by friends when I say stupid things or smart things in a stupid way.
- The feel of freshly washed sheets on freshly shaved legs.
- Finding a perfectly ripe avocado at the grocery store on a day when I really want homemade guacamole.
- Waking up from a nap to find that my husband folded all the clean laundry while I slept.
- Discovering money in the pocket of the jacket I wore three months ago.
- Finding just enough ice cream in the carton for one serving so I get to it all without a bowl.
- The sounds and sights of a thunderstorm at night.
- The sweet kisses my husband gives me on my cheek when he leaves for work before I am awake.
- Having a yard full of laughing children having a wonderful times playing in the pools and sprinklers.
- Looking at the scales and seeing that I have reached a weight I have not been in years!
- Sitting on my front porch reading and feeling the warm sunshine on my face.
- Discussing God’s Word with a group of amazing woman on Tuesday evenings this summer.
What are you grateful for in your life?
The Accident was on August 12, 2013. For months the 12th brought me to tears. Then, about a year later, I decided to choose gratitude and healing rather than sorrow. Thus “Twelve Things I am Thankful for on the 12th”.