It’s time for my gratitude list.
For those of you who don’t know why I do these lists…
The Accident that killed our son was late at night on August 12, 2013. The official Date of Death is August 13 because of the remote location. The official who could pronounce them didn’t arrive at the scene for 45 minutes. By then, it was after midnight. It took the first responders a long time to get the truck off the car so they could get the bodies out. For months, I thought often about The Accident and what I had lost that day.
For ten months the 12th brought me to tears. Actually, the depression started on the ninth or tenth and lasted for days. My husband says I was proactively depressed. Then, in the eleventh month, I decided to choose gratitude and healing rather than sorrow. Now, I am proactively grateful. Starting around the ninth of each of month, I begin thinking about and writing “Twelve Things I am Thankful for on the 12th”.
Here is my list today:
- Fluffy white clouds floating through the blue sky.
- Farmers who grow things all across our nation.
- First responders who go towards the danger to save lives, putting their own at risk.
- Small town gas stations. I’ve seen some strange things as I traveled this country, and I’ve met some wonderful people in small towns where I’ve stopped for gas.
- The group of bereaved parents who drove into Toledo last night to share their stories. We talked of our children, our lives, our grief, and our Lord.
- The ability to read and study the Bible. Answers to so many of my questions are found in it.
- Mystery. God’s mysteries. Some things I will not understand this side of heaven. I’m okay with that. God is much bigger than my pea-sized brain will ever understand.
- Opportunities to minister with my husband. I’m not sure where this is taking us, but the journey is amazing.
- My son who has become a grownup and who calls just to check on me when he knows I’m having a hard time, and who reminds me to breathe and pray.
- Tanner. The man who is caring for our home the next month. He’s a great guy, even if his beard does look shaggy at times. And he loves my puppies.
- Second chances. I got a few. I got a huge second chance when I asked forgiveness from God. I’m grateful He made me a new creation and wiped away my old self and cleansed me from all unrighteousness.
- Giving second chances. To those who hurt me and to those who simply messed up. I don’t care if you’ve been to prison, so have I. Your prison had bars and guards. Mine was of my own making and was spiritual; it consumed me. The Judge, the King of Kings showed me mercy and set me free. I have been forgiven and given a second chance; how can I not give others grace and mercy when I have received much?
What are you grateful for today? Please share your list in the comments. Maybe you only have time to write one or two things, please share them with us.
I pray you all have a blessed week.
The Accident was on August 12, 2013. For months the 12th brought me to tears. Then, about a year later, I decided to choose gratitude and healing rather than sorrow. Thus “Twelve Things I am Thankful for on the 12th”.