On Sunday evenings we are going through a Bible study with a group of folks who’ve all lost loved ones. Throughout this study we look at various passages and discuss how they apply in our grief journey.
Here are a few insights these folks have discussed as we looked at Romans 8.
12 So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” 16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him. Romans 8:12-17 | ESV
- We are not to live according to our flesh … not according to all the feelings associated with grief. The sorrow, pain, disappointment, regrets. Even as we grieve we must be led by the Sprit of God. And by the truth found in His Word.
- If we live according to our feelings and emotions, which can lie to us, we will die. But if we live according to the Spirit we will live. On earth and eternally.
- Because we have been adopted by God, and are now His children, we have no need to fear. We need not fear death – ours or that of others we love.
- As His heirs, we suffer with Him and will be glorified with Him. We do not suffer alone! We suffer with Christ and He with us!
26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. 28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. 29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. Romans 8:26-30 | ESV
- When we don’t know how to pray, the Spirit of God intercedes for us. He intercedes for us! God himself is praying for us!
- God works in all things for our good and the good of all who love Him. The death of our loved one is not good; death is the result of sin entering this world. We are not told to rejoice in their death. But can and must rejoice because God is working in and through us even when really bad things happen!
- He is conforming us to the image of His Son! He is making us more like Jesus so we can be made perfect and complete.
- He is working in us to glorify us.
31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? 33 Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Romans 8:31-34 | ESV
- God is for us!!
- God gave His own son. He gave Him up for us all.
- Jesus died and rose again and is at the right hand of God.
- Jesus himself is interceding for us!
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:35, 37-39 | ESV
- We are more than conquerors in Christ Jesus! Death and grief will not, can not conquer us.
- Nothing can separate us from the love of God! Not even life! While we are waiting, while we live on earth and do the good works He prepared for us to do, we are not separated from His love.
God is for me! He is interceding for me when I don’t know how to pray. And all the rest of the time. He is working in and through me. I’m not suffering alone; I suffer with Christ. Nothing can separate me from His love. He had justified and glorified me.
God’s Word is true!